Thursday, April 30, 2009

Queen's Day 2009

This Queen's Day will stay in our memories for a long time, for the wrong reasons.

Today around noon a tragedy happened in Apeldoorn, the Dutch city where the queen and her family came to visit, like they visit one particular city in the Netherlands every year on this day. A man in a black car tried to assault the royal family while their bus was touring through Apeldoorn. The car drove through the audience in the direction of the bus, but hit a monument instead. It has been confirmed that five people were killed in the assault and several severely wounded.

I was deeply shocked when I heard the news. I celebrated this national holiday in Egmond aan Zee and didn't hear the whole story until we went back home. My card selling went miserable, but it paled to nothingness compared to this drama.

My sincerest condolences go out to the families of the deceased and I wish everyone strenght to get through this - the wounded, their families and the royal family, as well as everyone who had to witness this drama and carry it with him or her for the rest of his or her life.

I'm so sorry.

No comments: